RE: [SPAM] Red One again - was a long time back 12Mp at 60 fps

A response Karl's Red One post I forwarded to very knowledgeable friend
in pro video equipment field.

Quote:

I'm very familiar with the camera and have been watching its development
over the last two years.  There is much more to this than any of their
hype suggests.  The guy behind this product is the president of Oakley
sunglasses, btw.  35mm size chips are really nothing new.  There are
three other much better cameras already on the market that have these
size chips and are from companies that know what they are doing:  Arri,
Panavision and Dalsa Digital.  Red doesn't make lenses.  They offer
them, but they don't make them and it is highly unlikely the ones they
offer are anything remotely as good as the Zeiss, Angenieux and Cooke
optics that the other manufacturers offer for their cameras.  Those
other lenses far eclipse the cost of the Red camera.  A full set of
Cooke primes would run $335,000. That $17k price includes nothing close
to what all you need to start making movies.  This is another example of
marketing genius combined with the naive hopes of wannabes that don't
understand the tools that are really needed.  In the last analysis, it
really doesn't matter much because the filmmakers with money will shoot
either 35mm film or use an Arri D-20 or a Panavision Genesis (if going
electronic) and the folks with no money will buy the new $7k Sony
XDCAM-EX and call it a day.  Mysterium chips, btw are made from
Unobtanium!

End quote.

Anyway, cell phone videos have an edgy, gritty look that is sooo NOW!

AZ

Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.
Now an E-book.