Saw This On Digital BW,The Print forum

I saw this on Digital BW,The Print, forum, and think some of you might be interested in the issue. JG
1.

Be Careful Who You Photograph in National Parks

Posted by: "stonieorl99" stonieorl@xxxxxxx   stonieorl99

Sat Oct 6, 2007 5:56 am (PST)

A few weeks ago, I was issued a citation in a national park for
photographing a model without a permit.
The offense was "failure to obtain permit," 36 CFR 1.6(g)(1);
the citation did not mention the law or
regulation that actually required the permit. The citation imposed a
$150
fine, and required a mandatory court appearance. I might have
contested the
charge, but the court appearance would have been in Salt Lake City,
Utah,
and I live in Florida.
The ranger took my camera, tripod, and three exposed rolls of film. I
was
not rude or uncooperative. As a matter of fact, he said if I had not
been so
cooperative he would have made it a lot worse on me.
After talking to his supervisor, he did return the camera and tripod
the
next day, but kept the film as evidence. He was very courteous, and
when we
began to chat about it, it came out that the real reason he issued
the citation
was that my model was nude. Although nudity is legal in national
parks (as
the ranger himself admitted), he didn't approve personally, and this
was the
strongest citation he could find to issue. By the way, he gave the
model the
same citation that he gave me, imposing a $150 fine and requiring a
court
appearance.
He stated that if I decided to fight the citation, "community
standards"
would come into play and I would for sure loose the fight (He kept my
film
to prove my shots were not up to "community standards"). He also said
if I
had applied for a permit I would have been denied because of the same
"community standards."
I shoot art nudes, sometimes in landscapes. None could possibly be
considered
pornographic or distasteful. All the shots on the day I was cited had
the
model framing the landscape; all that was visible was her back or
side as
she looked out over a canyon, and most people would have to look
twice to
even notice her in the image. By the way, we were in a remote area
early in
the morning. No one had complained. The ranger apparently had seen us
as he
made routine early morning rounds through the park. It seems the
citation
was issued solely because of the ranger's personal tastes and his
interpretation of "community standards."
I looked at the NPS web page for permits for Commercial Filming and
Still
Photography at
http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/permits.cfm?urlarea=permits,
and
noticed that photography in national parks requires a permit when;
"the activity uses model(s), sets(s), or prop(s) that are not a part
of the
location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities"
There are no definitions of any of these terms, so it is not clear
who is a
"model." Looking at the fee schedule at the bottom of the web page,
it does
not even appear that a permit is needed for still photography
involving only
a camera and tripod and 1?2 people. After seeing this, I wish I had
been
able to fight the citation, but I simply could not afford the time
and expense.

NOW TO THE BOTTOM LINE.
I just learned that there is a proposed rule formalizing the permit
requirements for lands administered by the Bureau of Land Management,
the
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the National Park Service.
Reading the
proposed rule, especially after my recent experience, I am concerned
that a
"model," "set," or "prop" may be interpreted to mean whatever a
particular
ranger wants it to be. Perhaps a "model" could even include a
photographer's
spouse, son, daughter, and dear ole Mom if the ranger disliked
something
else the photographer was doing. With my delay shutter release, I
could have
also been a model. [Although not one I would want in my images.]
Would my model and I have been cited if she had not been nude?
I have seen suggestions on several forums for definitions of "model"
and
"prop" to be added to the rule:
Model means a person who poses for filming, photography, videotaping,
or
recording by other means for the purpose of promoting the sale or use
of a
product or service. A commercial-professional model.
Prop means an object such as a vehicle, boat, article of clothing,
food and
beverage product, or other commercial article filmed, photographed,
videotaped, or recorded by other means to promote its sale or use.
These seem to be reasonable definitions; had they been in effect,
neither my
model nor I would have been cited.
The proposed rule was published in the Federal Register on August 20,
2007.
The description of the rule can be obtained from the GPO Access web
site at
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/index.html; search for "filming". The
relevant
result is fr20au07P.
I submit this for your information, and encourage you to submit
comments on this
proposed rule change.
I personally think this something every American should be concerned
about and
especially every photographer.
If you wish to submit a comment re these definitions, the time is
short: the
rule is open to public comment only until October 19, 2007.
Again.
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/fr/index.html; search for "filming". The
relevant
result is fr20au07P