Re: PF Exhibit on 29-09-07

Hi again everyone! The last PhotoForum Gallery of September 2007 is on
display, and here is my review:

----- ------- -----
"Northbound" by Darin Heinz

I think I would like to see more of an elongated image here; the frame size
seems a little too confining. I would have also liked a little more shadow
detail. The engine is all black, and so is a large portion of Donnie's pants
leg. the amount of blur is just right, though, and proves to be a an
appealing element in the photograph. Overall, it's a photo I'm pleased to
have done.

----- ------- -----
"Poised" by Jim Snarski

Jim, ospreys are among the most impressive birds to shoot (and by "shoot" I
mean photograph... I don't need any grief from the PETA freaks), and your
apparent proximity and camera angle make it look easy. The blue sky creates
a monotone backdrop for this portrait, and really creates a desirable amount
of contrast with the varying shades of brown in the bird's feathers. It
might have been nice to have an out-of-focus cloud in there to break up "big
blue", but the image sans cloud is very well composed, and it looks like you
really nailed the focus. Nice work!

----- ------- -----
"Lady with a poodle" by Valery Firsov

The leg running down the left side of the frame, and the spot of bright red
blur at the center top are a little distracting. That said, however, I think
this shot is a great whimsical moment in time. The poodle looks like it's
just standing there, and the handler is running through a knee-deep field of
weeds in a nice dress and high heels. Your angle with regard to the sun is
perfect, Valery, as is your exposure. Very little could be done to improve
this image; the area of dark and aforementioned red blur could probably be
safely cropped from the top, but there's nothing to be done with the leg, as
it encroaches on the hapless poodle's tail. A nice touch is that the dog
looks as if it's totally unenthusiastic about the show, and possibly even
grinning at the situation.

----- ------- -----
"Farnborough railway station' by Christopher Strevens

Chris, I like the overall feel here. I think you did well with your process,
although there might be just a little bit too much noise. The lack of shadow
detail is slightly disappointing, but then that may be also perceived as a
poignant statement regarding the fate of railways in Britain. Another
interesting point is the elimination of the first part of Farnborough's name
on the sign; whether deliberate or accidental, the word "rough" stands out
and is a fantastic play on the context of the image. Very well done!

----- ------- -----
"Fan on Tile" by Marilyn Dalrymple

I am completely bowled over by this, Marilyn! I know it took a lot of
frustration and hard work to finally achieve this, and I hope the end result
more than justifies the means. The ambiguity of the image, the "forced
relationship" between the fan and tile is delicate, and masterfully handled.
What is in store for the end result? I imagine just about anything could be.
As for the PF submission, I'm intrigued by the shapes that fall within the
image space, and trying to determine what was "original image" and what is
"tile"... Simply a fascinating piece of work, Marilyn! Great job on this!

Once again, I'd like to thank the people who submitted images to the Gallery
this week, those who respond to the images, and especially Andy and staff
for putting it together.

Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA