Re: need suggestions

Formyrotts@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,
I know this is probably a dumb question but here goes.

1) I have a chance to do a free lance job for a local paper and it may lead to a part time photography job with them. The thing is, it involves taking pictures of group of real estate agents at an Octoberfest for 2 hours mid-day at a church--ok, they might be relaxed a bit, but not like at an evening or weekend event. 2) I am not overly fond of taking 'people' pictures, I much prefer scenery but if I want this job, then I HAVE to do people. I have seen photos in today's paper of another group at a special event and they are all in either groups of 2 or 3, facing the camera--to me that is boring boring boring--I intend to call the paper today and find out if that is what they want, if so, they shall get it.

3) Now comes the big problem for me, I am absolutely HORRIBLE at names, and I need hints on how anyone on the list gets names of people while in groups - I know ask, but hints on putting the pics/names together.

Any kind of help would be appreciated--I think the group will be about 50 people. Thanks in advance for any and all help. (Am I being to paranoid about perfection here?) Linda

See what's new at http://www.aol.com
Linda, I graduated with a degree in Creative Photography and took a job with the University Photo Service. I was also going to change the way the boring photos were done. Making a long story short, it probably won't work. Journalism and art seldom mix well and most people and papers want the shot quick, clean and with not a lot of wasted space. Feature pictures are where you can get more creative but groups etc. are not. Faces, faces, faces. That is what is important for most of those shots with perhaps a hint of locale which may not even survive editorial cropping. I was faced with many small groups like that and one way to do it to have each person write out a quick name tag and hold it in front of them for one shot and then drop it for the real shot. You, or someone, will still have to get info but you can put them together after the event.
Don