Re: PF exhibit 09-15-07

Hi everyone.

Overall, I'm pleased with this week's Gallery. I apologize for getting this out so late in the week. Without further ado, here we go!

----- ------- -----
"Watch Your Step" by Jim Snarski

Jim, the composition of this is great! The stem leads the viewer's eye right in to the center of the quiet carnage, and your use of a noiseless black background works to create a stark depiction of structure and presence. The shape of the ill-fated critter's body is diffused and forms a sort of secondary, more specific point of interest to the image. I think you handled the lighting and exposure expertly, given the challenging nature of the photo. I would have liked to see more depth-of-field, as the unfocused bits of the fly-trap are distracting. Had you opted for even less depth-of-field, there's a chance that may have worked, but not nearly as well as stopping down.

----- ------- -----
"Butterfly Soars thru the Blue" by Roy Miller

I can't help but compare this with the work of dear Vincent. An interesting image, Roy. The swirls of misshapen saturated forms provide a chaos through which the butterfly must negotiate. The competition between the butterfly and the background is a little bit too intense, and I catch myself looking all over the place, rather than contemplating a figure against a ground; my idea of the image's subject becomes ambiguous. I think this might have been a stronger image had the background been desaturated or darkened, and/or the butterfly given a more luminescent or electric quality. You're certainly on the right track, though, and this is a striking image. Compositionally, it works well; the butterfly's placement and relation to the dark mass under and to the left of it gives a sense of "jumping off." Speaking of "jumping off," here's an aside, and a personal one, at that: whenever I see a suggestion to view a larger version of a work, I have to ask what is wrong with the smaller version. In the past, I have seen some mediocre photographs which may have looked a tad better enlarged. I have also seen some spectacular 60x60 thumbnails which pointed to equally spectacular 100KB images. From this I developed my "Thumbnail Test," the most stringent qualifier for submitting photographs. If one of my images looks good tiny, I'll post the full-size version of it (to whatever gallery or forum it goes to).

----- ------- -----
"Mt Tangkuban Perahu" by Trevor Cunningham

The first thing that struck me about this image is that it appeared a little dark, but then I realized it works well that way. The source of the column of smoke being obscured by the ridge, and the rugged landscape completely devoid of civilization's implements (a pleasant departure from your previous submissions, Trevor!) is actually enhanced by underexposing a stop or two from the "proper" exposure. This landscape is fascinating, and the implied lines leading into the smoke column form a dynamic center point of interest. Great job!

----- ------- -----
"Above the Clouds" by Andrew Brooks

Andrew! This is a really amazing composite. Totally believable, yet mired in fantasy. It reminds me of the sci-fi novel covers from the late '70s and '80s (which were--and looked like--paintings). The warmth of the light is right on the money, and the inclusion of a bit of blue sky intensifies the atmospheric feel. The "smudginess" in the lower right is questionable, but not overly distracting or disagreeable. Noteworthy is the consistency of the angle of light on all elements, even though they were photographed at different times and places.

----- ------- -----
"Choas at Midnight" by Qkano

Wow, I miss those days. A full-blown shoot, with people milling about. This is a photo I've wanted to do for a while, but didn't. Exposure is perfect. Lens selection, shutter speed, vantage point, and color balance makes this a great image. Interesting to see some people are staying in place, others are hustling around. Can't really tell if this was a photo or a video shoot, but it doesn't matter. I'd like to see the result! Nice shot!

----- ------- -----
"Tempus fugit" by Guy Glorieux

Clock innards, Guy? If so, that would explain the title's translation: "Time Flies." And a literal translation at that. It's a pretty cool surreal image. The montage work is pretty good, although it's a little difficult to tell what the background elements are. Exposure on the mechanisms is good, and the lighting is consistent throughout. The background star field(s) are merged well. NASA allows appropriation of its images for use in artwork, as long as it isn't sold. In the past, I've created my own segments of the universe... just in case I get lucky and sell one ;-)

----- ------- -----
"Provincetown" by Emily L. Ferguson

This photo is comprised of a limited, but aesthetically pleasing pallette: white railing, natural wood tones, and muted green siding; they combine to evoke a delicate mood. Exposure looks good. I would have liked to see more of the chair; perhaps this could be achieved by moving in closer to the white railing and forming an unbroken "frame"; also the modern-looking window seems to be an anachronism and could (probably) safely be omitted. There also seems to be a slight tilt which is a bit disturbing. Other than that, you have done a good job of capturing the feel of Provincetown.

----- ------- -----
"Carnation Montage" by Rene M Hales

Rene, I can appreciate the triptych effect; the order of, and spacing between, images is probably ideal. The use of ragged edges gives it a film feel, but I think the level of haloing evident in the center image should be mimicked in the other two (they're a little too sharp for the feel I think you're going for). The water line in the center image looks a bit too high, and it makes the arrangement just a bit too symmetrical. Besides these minor issues, everything else looks good; exposure appears to be right down the line, and the overall image is very well done.

----- ------- -----
"Desert Cactus Flower" by Marilyn Dalrymple

Marilyn, the blur (whether from focus or motion) is a shame. It's such a good closeup of the flower and cactus otherwise. Your background is nice and simple, and the plant itself fades off toward the top beautifully. Exposure, composition are perfect.

"Treatment" by Valery Firsov

What an interesting, haunting image, Valery! Focus is tack-sharp, depth-of-field is perfect. Exposure, composition, everything else is spot-on. The glisten from the medicine droplet is an added touch which ties the whole photo together. This is a wonderfully-executed photo! Great work!

Thank you, Andy and the PF Gallery Staff, for posting this and keeping it all together. Participants in this week's Gallery, I thank you for your submissions! And I look forward to our continued discussions.

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA