Re: Angle of view.....

Bob wrote:

Some things we understand and don't think about. Like why in movies with a car chase shot with a long lens the cars never get closer, just bigger...... Telephoto compression......

A long time ago when I first started in photgraphy I had an Olympus OM-1md. The Instruction book, as I remember, had an excellant section on what you just said. One series of photos showed the subject with various focal lengths keeping the the camera in the same position. The next section showed the various focal lengths keping the subject the same size. I still have my OM-1md, maybe I can find the manual. And when Vivitar was big one of their brochures had similar photos. I'll have to see if I can find that tto and review what I had forgotten.

And such photos should make *very* clear that there's no such thing as "telephoto compression". Perspective depends entirely and solely on the physical location of the camera, the lens focal length does *not* change that. Crop the relevant portion out of the 24mm shot and compare it with the 200mm shot taken from the same location and the perspective is the same, there is no "telephoto compression".

(Sorry, I've seen several people use that phrase here just recently, and it's just plain *wrong* in attributing the perspective effects to the lens used.)

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@xxxxxxxx; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery