Re: PHOTOFORUM digest 4530

14 aug 2007 kl. 19.50 skrev editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

Dear Robert,

Yes you do see the grain in the highlights when scanning negs -- typically skies.
However, I use color negative materials and I have the ability to create easy masks (example: the sky) to soften such grain.

This is a common complaint with scanned negs. My theory is that somehow force-fitting chaotic silver patterns into an artifical scanning matrix leads to exaggerated (attenuated) grain. Over- (as well as under-) sampling seems to bear this out, but results in huge file sizes. Assuming this is 35mm, then oversampling at 8000dpi would allow you to downsample it to 4000dpi and I'd be willing to bet that much of the noise would be reduced. You might find it acceptible, I suggest giving it a try.

A couple of years ago, there was a lot of writing on the web about what was called "grain aliasing", and as far as I can see, it is exactly the type of phenomenon that Michael describes far more correctly here.  It can be a problem; most writers at that time agreed that it was best cured by higher scanning resolutions - far higher than was actually needed for the primary purpose of reproduction . followed by downsampling to the required resolution using a good interpolation algorithm.

I have to admit that my own experience is limited; I´ve certainly observed the phenomenon, but not often enough to make any kind of generalizations.

That said, many of us remember what happened when we tried to print over-dense prints in the darkroom: the highlights got grainy and muddy (although it was "honest" silvery graininess, not the clumping that easily comes from scanning).  The ultimate remedy, now as well as then: correctly exposed and developed negs....

And, of course, all too often we didn´t get such ideal negs (not even Ansel Adams, from his own writings), so we just had to cope....  and I much prefer to cope using scanning and Photoshop instead of fighting all night in the darkroom!

Per Öfverbeck

http://ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates"