Re: early UPDATE PF exhibit of 08-04-07

At 9:19 PM -0400 8/3/07, ADavidhazy wrote:
The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated AUG 04 2007. Authors
with work now on display at:  http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html include:

          Morley Roberts - EllaRose at Kingsmere

Yes. You need to notice things like that big bright spot right next to her face. Too much competition. And yes, it would be nice if she were looking at the camera, but it would be just as nice if she were looking like she was thinking, or watching something happy, or doing something with the looking away.

          Bob Sull - Tears of Joy

Technical matters are irrelevant here. This is a terribly important moment and getting so nice and close to the faces with their mixed expressions was the real deal. Thanks, Bob, for showing us such an important part of your life.

          Kostas Papakotas - Concert Shot

Just not clear about the function of that hand up there. It keeps stealing my attention. And, although I really like the angle thing, I think I'd moderate it a bit here. It's really a bit too severe.

          Valery Firsov - Riverside Swallow

Very interesting angle on the bird, you were lucky to get that one. You must have been rather close or sitting up in a tree! Interesting how hard it is to get bird eyes at that angle too.

          Linda Buttstead - PAIN

Hmm. Sure hope they're trying to get that guy on a gurney fast. That does not look like a good thing to be doing to his head.

Aside from that, you should never license to the insurance company - it compromises your capacity to remain neutral as a reporter. The insurance company can do discovery for your images from the paper, or simply use them as printed there.

And, if you're not an employee of the paper, you should be licensing, not selling, to the paper.

Back to the image - I'm wishing you'd shot in a lot closer if you were aiming for the man's face reflecting his sensations. You certainly don't need to be in his face, but this is the time for two bodies - one long and one short - so you grab the one for each shot as it occurs to you. For all we know from this distance the man might be already deceased.

This sort of thing is really hard, and doing it over and over improves the rate at which you find the decisive image. But it's hard on your soul, so take care of yourself. It's right up there with war shooting which can rip your spirit to shreds.

          Howard Leigh -

Nice and sharp, good color, cropping is tricky but it does seem as though a little less green on the right might be desirable. Were your bees rubbing their bellies across the blossoms like the ones I tried to shoot the other week? Mine were in perpetual motion and had big tan bags on their sides. It was very interesting but hard to find the right exposure time to get something sharp and still convey the frantic swarming of the bee across the flower.

          Tim Mulholland - The Needles

What a shame these Needles are in shadow. I think I would have dared to dodge them a bit to counteract the flatness of the light. Also, I feel like there's way too much green stuff and not enough of the image is the rocks.

          Per Ofverbeck - Tall Ships´ Race in Stockholm

Did they actually race? I know they've been doing some racing around there. Kruzenshtern is so humongous, it's quite overwhelming. Sorry the weather was so ordinary. A perfectly useful tourist office shot, but there are a lot of options here. I hope you explored more of them.

From: Xena and the PF gallery staff

Thanks to Xena and as always to Andy.  How's your health coming along, man?
--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx