Re: [SPAM] A more outrageous question

On 18-Jul-07, at 2:50 PM, Bob Blakely wrote:

Almost all of the worlds best photos are expertly exposed. Further, almost all freezemoving subjects or allow them to blur as is most appropriate for the work. In addition, focus and appropriate deph of field are apparent.

I would have to imagine that in a majority of those images, the photographer "thought"
about the image he/she was about to make.

In my early days (some 55 years ago) with the camera/film combination, my mentor insisted that I "think more" about what I was seeing on the 10 x 8 ground glass. I was forbidden to use the word 'shoot'.... not was I allowed to 'take' a photograph. I was however, encouraged to 'make' as many
exposures as was required to meed my 'needs'.

Using the word 'shoot' was considered an indication of what he termed "sloppy thinking"

The penalty I paid?.... (a bar of chocolate) for each such indiscretion.

Is there something about photographers that prevents them from walking and chewing gum at the same time?

I was 'allowed" to walk and, on occasions, to run.... but chewing gum was a big no-no!

Ken

Post scriptum.

Bob... how come every messagage you post to the list arrives here (in my mailbox) with
"[SPAM]" preceding every title?