RE: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] criticism and teaching

 Herschel,

I agree the R12 isn't much to look at but I'm a great fan of Raymond Loewy and his Avanti!  I think I could give you a thorough critique of both.  One has to critique the success or failure of formal design based on principles rather than taste. And you have to understand and incorporate cultural values into the discussion. Mostly it involves convincing yourself that things like slacker art and so-called "edginess" isn't pure crap!
One part of teaching is to confess to your shortcomings (but not your prejudices).

If you only deal with formal elements you are still giving much to your students. You reserve a few stock remarks for stuff you hate or simply don't get. You might say something like  "How does (whatever part you just don't get) inform the picture?"  I'd look at it as a challenge to the student to begin thinking that in a photograph everything counts.

AZ

Build a 120/35mm Lookaround!
The Lookaround Book.
Now an E-book.