Re: wireless camera conectivity is here

Roger writes:
I have a local wireless in my house.  The only issue is that I have
to get up and walk to the printer in another room!  I suppose I could
print to a printer in my neighbor's house across the street, but I
would have to call him to ask him to put in the kind of paper I want
to use!  His network seems to be unprotected.

haha :)

My main network printer has a 5000 sheet a4/a3 capacity and doesn't get looked at till a run is done - and it's too big to sit in the study so it's relegated to a back room - with cables running to it :(

It's not going to be as fast as what I do now.  Anyway, you have to
lug a PC or other portable storage device to use it.  My pc stays in
my hotel room if I'm traveling.

same here - I have card readers fitted in drive bays in most of my puters, and I can swap cards and do card dumps to my Vosonic drive on the fly when I'm shooting too, but I recall on many wish-lists for digicams in the past that a wireless connectivity option was avaialble.  I thought since 802.11 wasn't an option for most cameras yet, this suffices and fills the gap.  and then some

picture this - large sized image review on a nearby laptop without a cable to trip over..

..and all this:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digsoftware_cameractrl.html

(but without the limitations of USB cable length - which cannot be over a certain length without a repeater installed)

clipped from the above page:
"PSRemote is a Windows (98, Me, 2000, XP) application for controlling Canon Powershot cameras from a PC via the USB connection. It gives a high degree of control over the camera and includes a live viewfinder display allowing the camera to be operated up to 5m (16 feet) **<that limit goes! ;) >** from the computer using a standard USB cable. Major features are: Live viewfinder display on PC screen. Time-Lapse feature allows the number of photos in a sequence and the interval between shots to be specified over extended periods. ...Motion detection using the live viewfinder display - ideal for wildlife photography and security cameras (requires separate purchase of Webcam ZoneTrigger). Auto bracketing of exposures by varying the shutter speed or aperture for taking pictures in tricky lighting conditions and for high dynamic range (HDR) photography. Photos are saved on the PC's hard disk and can also be saved on the memory card in the camera. Grid overlay display for accurate alignment of studio shots. **<very neat!>**  Automatic screen blank option - blanks the screen before taking a photo so that the light from the PC display doesn't affect the subject lighting.

DSLR Remote Pro - operate Canon EOS 5D, 1D Mark II, 1Ds Mark II, 1D, 1DS, 30D, 20D, 10D, 350D/Digital Rebel XT/Kiss Digital N or 300D/Digital Rebel/Kiss Digital digital SLR using the FireWire or USB cable. See large high quality previews of shots on your PC screen within seconds. Gain unrivalled control of settings for Canon cameras during tethered operation. Enable remote operation of the camera from a distance. Store images directly onto the hard disk of a PC ready for onward transmission (e.g. by FTP to a picture desk). Automate addition of IPTC data to images as they are downloaded Enable customers to view pictures while you continue shooting. Preview images in black and white or color. "