Re: wireless camera conectivity is here

Roger Eichhorn:

> Sounds like a rapidly developing field that we shouldn't jump into
> until it settles down.  Bluetooth is now widely available.  Will
> wireless USB be significantly faster?

are their bluetooth enabled cameras already, and can one tether their camera using bluetooth?

if not, I can see everyone 'upgrading' their cameras again in a few months when manufacturers start introducing such beasts and claiming speed improvements over all those 'old' systems cobbling tethered 1DS's with wireless USB to the PC and doing on-the-fly downloads to their laptops.

out with the old, in with the new ;)

In answer to the question, no.  Wireless is faster than bluetooth is faster than wireless usb.

Criticism aside, current camera connectivity is largely limited to USB.  Here comes a technology that'll allow folks to tether their cameras to their backup/preview devices.  Why not use it?

regarding the technology -
before bluetooth their was 'wireless'.

before USB there was serial.

before SATA there was PATA.

All are still around because they work.

I have a three colour pulsed xenon A3 film and flatbed scanner.  It's only connectivity is SCSI.  It is only usable with REALLY wide SCSI.  It only talks to windows NT/Win95/98.  There have been NO 3 colour scanners of this calibre produced since these were manufactured in '98 - almost ten years and nothing.  The pinnacle of technology is 9 years old..  NASA uses them, National Geographic uses them.   So I have an old PC purely dedicated to driving that scanner :)

common, fast, faster, iPiffle®, new

not impressed.

I am however impressed that this new technology will allow me to interface some existing stuff I have.  Nice to be able to pop the printer in a different room and connect to it wirelessly rather than having to wait for the Bluetooth model to come out, tossing out my perfectly good printer and 'upgrading' to something newer.  Impressed that I'll be able to tether my current cameras and my external 'safe storage' backup hard drive can now remain permanently in a safe location and be tethered without any handling - all good news :)