criticism and teaching

Criticism is like a razor. One slip and you've lost a photographer. It's responsible for more creative casualties than anything I know.
Especially that double edged cut-throat cunningly named "CONSTRUCTIVE" criticism.....
Constructive encouragement is more likely to bring out the best in a person.

As teachers, if we want our students to grow the seed of creative power within themselves, we can only inform, nurture, encourage and support. They'll learn that what they see is not only valid but special, unique.
They will come asking for the technical stuff soon enough. You can't work with all those dials and numbers and not get curious.

We are not short of Ansels or Henris or any of the Westons.. God knows one of each is a sufficiency in this world. "Enough is as good as a feast"
I especially don't want another Herschel Mair out there.

Creativity is like a wild but very timid animal hiding in a dark cave. We need to lure it out into the light with tenderness, care and caution. One wrong move and it'll dart back in and never come outa there.

herschel

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,
Higher College of Technology