Re: why does photography have rules?

I don't feel that photography has rules...  However, many photographers have rules, it seems...

I feel that there's a point in any maturation (and, development psychologists have supportive research regarding human development) - whether that maturation is a skill, a craft, a relationship, your own personality - where you start with rules as way to order your learning, to learn in a "safe" manner (as contrasted with running before you can walk, and therefore really skinning your knees very nicely).  If you choose to make further progress, then you learn the basis for those rules, the underpinnings, etc.  And, at some point after you learn those underpinnings and more theory, and you wish to continue your mastery, then you learn that the rules do and did have a place in your learning, but they don't necessarily have to always confine you as you mature even further...

I hope...  ;)

Tim!

Tim Mulholland
Illuminata Photo
Fitchburg, WI
608/628-2925

www.TimMulholland.com

The most fatal illusion is the settled point of view.  Since life is growth and motion, a fixed point of view kills anybody who has one.  ~~  Brooks Atkinson, American drama critic, (1894-1984)