Re: why does photography have rules?

From: "David Dyer-Bennet"

> I've also caught a gathering of artists discussing brushes, so I'm in
> the mood to be skeptical about the facile clever comparisons between
> photographers and painters.

A restorer I know was showing me a HUGE print that was disintegrating in front of us, flakes peeling off in sheets.

his comment was that he wished some of these 'artists' (spat out) would learn something about their (curse) art before they started producing masterpieces.

A friend (an accomplished and recognised artist) who undertook a highly regarded art course quit after he found his need to learn more about the underlying technologies could not be met by the college lecturers, who viewed their course as being about the vision and not the technique.

He continues to learn by trial and error, the subtleties and nuances of various paints, tints, chemicals, tones, brush characteristics etc - things which to me superficially seem trivial inspired a trance like dedication to gain more information in him.

I expect it'd be the same with someone looking in at me undertaking my work as a photographer - they would probably see pretty images ( i hope! ;) and superficially think I have a nice camera!

:)