Re: why does photography have rules?

Herschel Mair wrote:
Devil's advocate here...
Photography is the only art form in which people still expect the artist to previsualize the final result in some way.
Is it? When did painters stop planning? I've certainly seen many pencil sketches and oil preliminary works planning out parts of bigger works. That seems very much like planning to me.
So if they get a good piece of work they didn't expect, some say it's "lucky"
Of course it's lucky. Like drawing the card you need in poker, or winning the lottery. Sometimes you get lucky.
Great painters don't start out with a clear idea of the finished work (Flemish masrers with Camera lucida aside perhaps)
Well, the art world probably doesn't consider the people whose preliminary sketches I see to be "great painters" (or else they're far enough in the past that the "any more" clause could rule them out). But how many of the current great painters do you actually have good information on how they work? (Not my field or interest so *I* don't even know who they are).
It's all hit and miss. The work changes throughout its plastic stage and in the end it's a product pf all the thoughts and changes of ideas that the artist went through as he applied and re-applied paint to the canvas.
Of course it is, but that isn't contradictory to some previsualization at the beginning.
It's a creative maleable process. Why are there so many rules attached to photography.?
To help people of basically artistic temperament through the tech side? I don't really know. I've also caught a gathering of artists discussing brushes, so I'm in the mood to be skeptical about the facile clever comparisons between photographers and painters.

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@xxxxxxxx; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery