Re: why does photography have rules?

 Herschel Mair
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students

Devil's advocate here...
Photography is the only art form in which people still expect the artist to previsualize the final result in some way.

hmmm

can't picture a table maker setting out without a clear image of what they're intending to produce!

I have a friend who works in bronze.  Phone call - 'can you get me a bunch of ferret pics, I want to make a bronze ferret'.  His research is thorough.. multi angle sketches, wax models - all long before he settles on what he's going to make, then a final model is fabricated from wax, encased, burned out and the melt goes ahead.  the final if not *precisely* what he wants when it's all polished and finished goes into the scrap bin and he starts again.  he never sells 'seconds'

A water colourist who for every 2 books of paper produces one final watercolour explains 'I f*ck*d up the tree' to my question why the current work lies in the bin beside them.  (the tree bing a tiny portion of the image)

There are however many 'artists' who work to an unknown outcome and simply see if they like the outcome.  One who works making dichroic glass pendants and jewelry.  My father who cut and faceted saphires to set in jewelry he designed however, never once set to cut a stone without a very clear idea of the final outcome.

My pics - I take a *long* time to make some images.  years in some cases.  Others are snapped quickly and opportunistically, as fleeting time permits me no second chance.

We can work that way