Re: Top 3 things that taught you the most about photography

Number 1:  In 1955 my dad bought me a 620 Kodak Hawkeye camera, a Kodak development tank, and a bunch of "Tri-Chem" packages.  We developed the fim in our bathroom and printed out the results on Kodak "Print out Paper" when we turned on the light.

Number 2:  In 1960 my dad bought me a Yashika TLR and a dozen rolls of film.  I had my own bath/darkroom. I learned how to capture images in availavble darkness using Tri-X.  I had yet to develop an eye for anything resembling anything other whaterver I was seeing.  When I look at what I have left those images, I don't recognize them as being mine.

Number 3: In 1971 Dennis Pett at Indiana University asked me to teach a class  in photography to a bunch of first year grad students.  Since I had absolutely no idea how to teach anything other than than details and lab stuff, I told them to buy a cheap Kodak Instamatic snapshot camera and go out and take pictures of what they saw.  What they saw was so much better than what I had ever seen and captured that I stopped teaching and went back to research in educational technology until the Army recalled me a couple of years later.

Bill