Re: EV to foot-candles - possible?

30 jun 2007 kl. 21.49 skrev ADavidhazy:

As I shared earlier I did some "reverse engineering" and seem to have come up with a solution that corroborates the EV to FC or Lux tables found on several Gossen light meters or in the Sekonic instruction manuals. But I am not sure if I used correct thinking. The relationship I have is based
on some reading from an exchange in German on a discussion group.

The number of Foot-Candles falling on a scene is equal to:

  FC = antilog of < (EV x log2) - log (ASA / C) >

where: EV measured at some specific ASA film speed
       ASA is the film speed
C is a constant, for Gossen it seems to be 24.5 and for Sekonic 23.25

Wow, this is getting COMPLICATED... :-)

Let´s start with basics: For a given f/stop and film sensitivity, and disregarding reciprocity errors, correct exposure time is inversely proportional to scene illuminance, right?

If true, the second part of Ansel´s formula has the correct mathematical form: "Then, the luminance (in candles per square foot) of a surface read by a correctly calibrated exposure meter is just the reciprocal of the shutter speed for the above f/stop and film speed".

What´s left is to find the proportionality factor, and that can be made to be equal to one by choosing the f/stop and ASA in a suitable manner.

That´s what the first part of Ansel´s formula claims to do: "First compute the f/stop value corresponding to the square root of the film speed in ASA (e.g., for ASA 125, you get f/11)".

I can´t say whether AA did get it right numerically, but again, at least his solution has the correct mathematical form: since you´ll have to stop down one step if you multiply the ASA value by 2, and one f/stop step is 1.4, the square root of 2, AA will yield the same basic meter setting starting with any ASA value you want, just like it should.

I guess most of you still have an old exposure meter with circular computing discs lying somewhere. Get it out and play around with the scales; you´ll soon see that the relationship between ASA and f/stop is exactly like AA says.

So what he´s doing in the first part of the formula is just to find a certain point on the meter scale. Then, for anything you meter, the inverse of the shutter speed read at that point is (claimed to be) the illuminance value in foot-candles.

Makes sense? Yes, the light measuring part of any reflected exposure meter is just an illuminance meter, but witthout a proper footcandle scale. What AA does here is just giving a method to recontruct such a scale.

Phew!   Now it´s time for some good Scots malt.....

Slainthe mhor!

Per Öfverbeck
http://ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"