Photo Freedom, was: Australian TV advert

Hi, everyone.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Blakely"
So far, here in the US, one can take photos of anything
or anyone they can see from any public place...

An exception to this is active military installations. Even if you are across the street, on a sidewalk shooting through a chain-link fence, you still need express written consent of the base commander, or face serious charges. Legally, those who attend public events on-base, such as air shows, for example, are still subject to this restriction. In such cases, however, it has become an expected practice for the security forces to turn a blind eye.

I have gotten used to being asked the usual questions, to the point where I am recognized by local police officers. In one instance, I accompanied a friend to his job at an airfield. Shooting some airliners being refueled, an airport authority officer approached in an SUV, but I stopped being nervous when he recognized me. He said "Come with me." I climbed in, and thought I was being either escorted off the property or "taken in for questioning". Instead, he drove me to a different area and pointed out how much better the lighting looked...

As long as you're only being a photographer, you don't have anything to worry about. Comply. Be laid-back, be cool. Don't let yourself be perceived to be hostile. Expect to be hassled, but it most likely won't get to that point. Actually, every time you find yourself in a conversation with a member of law enforcement, it could even be an opportunity to network a little bit. If you're going to do a lot of shooting in a particular locality, it can't hurt to send a friendly, but polite letter beforehand to the chief of police introducing yourself. If they have a public affairs office, offer to do some pro bono work for them. The gains in the long run will offset the initial loss by far.

At the very least, have a copy - or several - of this PDF with you.
http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm (UK and NSW links at bottom)

You're a photographer. Make photographs.

Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA

See my photographs online at http://www.photo.net/photos/DarinHeinz/