Re: PF exhibit update 06-09-07

nope, the frond (broom) was already there...i initially saw the image as a simple doorway shot, and i like the palm broom as i felt it gave it a little more local flavor...when i made the print i was dissappointed with the lack of contrast as well, and actually played with that a little bit after the scan...but after a subsequent viewing of the print the face finally popped out and i cropped it to put the eyes in the middle...what really grabs me about the face are the broom and the eyes look a little squirrelly...the lattice ('jali' in arabic) of the eyes is interesting in itself because there are dozens of these windows all around the mosque and each one is unique...ibn tuloum really is an architectural masterpiece...thanks for the review!

Darin Heinz <spacecoastphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"grinnin tuloum" - Trevor Cunningham

A whimsical nod toward the personification of inanimate objects. I like it,
Trevor. Did you place the palm frond there, or was it already in place?
Either way, the photo is as the photo is, and it is done well. I might have
liked to see a touch more contrast in this one. Composition is nicely done,
and the exclusion of societal or atmospheric context was well managed. I'm
sure there are those who would find all sorts of political "meaning" or
otherwise statements in this, since it happens to be a mosque. But for me,
the image is what it is. And I would certainly give this one approval. And a
smirk of my own.

"The optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears it's true" - J Robert Oppenheimer

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!