Re: PF exhibit update 06-09-07

Hi, everyone.

It has been a while since I did one of these. In the meantime, I not only
met a photographer I felt was on equal par with me, I married her! And then,
we were blessed with a (hopefully) future photographer named Natalie. OK,
enough about current events. Here's my views of this week's Gallery. And a
grain of salt to take it with. --> .

----- ------- -----
"Brasilicereus Phaeacanthus" - Marilyn Dalrymple

Marilyn, I really like this image. The muted colors, the obvious grain, the
composition. It is a well-done emulation of film photography, whether or not
that was the intended effect. The black space comprising the background is
just enough, not too much, not too little, to provide a ground against which
the figure resides. I only wish the tips of the leaves of the foreground
flower were included, in which case the entire composition could have been
rotated just slightly in order to achieve balance. Great job here!

----- ------- -----
"Live Oak" - Don Roberts

This is a very interesting shot, Don. Like you, I prefer multiple exposure
in the camera. Perhaps the availability of such a feature among digital
cameras will become more prominent in the near future; it is one of the
reasons why I still prefer film when I shoot in the studio. Of note in this
photograph is the starkness of the near-black trunk set against the pale
grass and foliage dominant in the background. My initial response is to
suggest the inclusion of the entire tree, but on second thought that seems
like it would detract from the "solidness" depicted in the image you have
posted. Keep experimenting with this technique! This isn't quite a
masterpiece, but I think you're on the right track.

----- ------- -----
"MIT entrance" - Emily L. Ferguson

Emily, this is a refreshing change from what I've seen from you over the
last few segments of time. While your previous submissions seemed to be less
about photography and more about "what do you think of this as a branding
tool?", this photograph is really well done, steeped in structure and
balance. Correcting the pillars' tilt (an operation invisible to me) may
have been a saving grace, as it provided the tension the image needed. With
the perceived "heaviness" delicately balanced around the frame's center, all
it needed was some element of fragility around which to rotate. Add the
human figures at the image's nexus, and you have it. Bravo!

----- ------- -----
"Down Stairs" - Mark Harris

I could fill a book with all of the spiraling staircase photos I've seen.
While this example is technically good, and while I am particularly fond of
the Ponce Inlet lighthouse, I feel like it falls short somewhat as an
innovative image. Perhaps it could have been improved by the use of some
form of human element in different places to give a sense of scale, or, for
example, as a color photo with different color gels used on each level to
provide some visual interest. Tripod the camera and have someone ascend
carrying a lantern over a 2-minute exposure... You have done good work,
Mark, but unfortunately this one isn't among your best.

----- ------- -----
"Solo" - Jim Snarski

Jimmy, the only real nit I have to pick is that I feel the image would be
greatly strengthened by the transposition of the plane and foliage; the
aircraft is flying out of the frame, which causes a great deal of unbalanced
tension in my mind. The otherwise barren landscape is ideal for this kind of
shot, though, and you have managed to get an accurately exposed photo out of
it. As an alternate to the image... I would have liked to see the biplane
closer to the camera, so that you could see the details and contours of its
planforms. But I'm just talking with a keyboard here. The idea of a small
plane against such an empty space speaks volumes on its own. So in that
respect I'm going back and forth, without any definitive conclusion. But I
would still like to see the plane and foliage transposed.

----- ------- -----
"Abandoned Factory Beacon" - David Small

Wow, David! This is really a great photograph! Reminiscent of August
Sander's work, you have incorporated the human form and machinery in such
harmonious contrast that I have to admit I am duly impressed. I have no
complaints about the image. Exposure and composition are immaculate. I can't
believe I am so enthralled at seeing an image which features another guy's
butt. Cathy and I assure you it's completely aesthetic.

----- ------- -----
(untitled) - D.L. Shipman

Dave, this is the type of image which ultimately coerced me into moving back
to Florida, my native state, in 2002. I would have liked to see a bit more
saturation in the colors of the sky in the background; that would have made
this photo really pop. The composition works well, although the right side
of the palm tree being cut off sort of bothers me. The starfield looks
pretty good, but there are a few areas where a more pointillistic effect
would work wonders, in lieu of the "jpeg-blur" evident in the posted
version.

----- ------- -----
(untitled) - Linda Buttstead

The intermingling of background and foreground elements creates a strong
visual dance, if you will, in this image, Linda. I'm not sure how much
post-processing went into this, but it seems to suffer a little from an
overall lack of sharpness. There are three main competing forces here:
foliage, rock, and water, but none seems to claim an advantage over the
other two. I think that may be the only downfall of the photo; should one be
granted the privilege of being the (capital-S) Subject, the strength of the
final image would be greatly increased.

----- ------- -----
"Squaw Rock Wall" - Bob Sull

Welcome to the gallery, Bob. As far as I know this is the first time I've
been given the honor of critiquing one of your images. In this case, it is a
fine depiction of texture; a sign of a good photograph is one that evokes
one of the other four senses, in which case this does, at least for me. I
can actually feel the rocky surface just by looking at it. From a purely
visual standpoint, though, it isn't really that intriguing. Had there been
some singular point of interest (a frozen spring's icy stalactites, for
example) punctuating the image, it may have been more visually arresting.
Outside of the scope of this gallery, I can visualize all kinds of
possibilities (e.g. I could see this as one-third of a triptych) for this
photo. As a stand-alone image, however, there seems to be something missing,
despite the arduous trouble you went through to acquire it.

----- ------- -----
"grinnin tuloum" - Trevor Cunningham

A whimsical nod toward the personification of inanimate objects. I like it,
Trevor. Did you place the palm frond there, or was it already in place?
Either way, the photo is as the photo is, and it is done well. I might have
liked to see a touch more contrast in this one. Composition is nicely done,
and the exclusion of societal or atmospheric context was well managed. I'm
sure there are those who would find all sorts of political "meaning" or
otherwise statements in this, since it happens to be a mosque. But for me,
the image is what it is. And I would certainly give this one approval. And a
smirk of my own.

I want to thank all who participated in this week's Gallery, whether by
contributing images or by offering critiques.

Looking forward to the ensuing discussions, I remain

Yours very truly,
Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA