Summer activities

Hello All,

Yesterday I spent the day at the J.Paul Getty Center. It was a perfect day for a visit and all the displys were phenominal. I especially enjoyed the exhibit, "Oudry's Painted Menagerie," featuring the work of artist Jean-Babtiste Oudry.

His animal paintings were inspiring and the jewel of the show was his life-size painting of the Dutch rhinoceros who came to be called "Miss Clara." During the middle 1700s, Clara toured Europe and became quite a sensation. Her story is interesting - if you Google "Clara the Rhino," you can read about her fascinating life.

My main purpose for going was to view the exhibit of P.H. Emerson's work. The prints were photogravure, albumen and platinum prints, the albumen prints being my favorites. It is so inspiring to see the work of great photographers "in person."

Among the work of Emerson were photographic prints by Henry Peach Robinson, a contemporary of Emerson. I enjoyed his work as much as I enjoyed Emerson's. A few of Robinson's prints were made by combining negatives and the final prints are seamless.

I was surprised by the number of photographers (others from that time period were on display along with Emerson) who were "cross-over" artists, being excellent oil painters as well as photographers. Emerson often partnered with the lesser-known photographer, but rather famous oil painter, Thomasd Frederick Goodall and both names were featured on the labels of some of Emerson's prints. Goodall used many of Emerson's photographs as subjects for his paintings.

Another photographic display hanging is "A Place in the Sun: Photographs of Los Angeles," by John Humble. This display didn't do much for me, I'm sure others viewing it were impressed, however.

I'm looking forward to more summer adventures at the Getty. Exhibits opening in July will include Edward Weston and Luc Delahaye.

Marilyn