Gallery Review

Greetings all,

Just back from canoeing during the long weekend.
Imagine:  3 days outside of the city with no computer, no phone, no TV, no
radio, no news, just the sound of the wind, the water and the birds....

Back to the real world, catching up with my mail, including the PF Gallery.
Good choices, good pictures.

Rene M Hales - Buddha in My Garden
I like this picture a lot. Everything is happening between the spiritual dimension of the print (the soft inward smile and the half-closed eyes of the buddha) and its deep earthly colors (with some decaying greenish spots on the top corners). A very different and interesting treatment of the subject.

Elson T. Elizaga - Hard Food
Very nice candid shot of your son. I like the expression on his face and the eyes. Obviously he has a bit of a hard time with the bread stick but he won't let it go.I like the lines of movement in the pictures and the tight cropping. There is nothing that does not contribute to the message: "Oh mummy...! I just love this bread stick! But would'nt you have something a bit softer for my little mouth..."!

Tim Mulholland - Fox Pups
Nice pups, but oh so lost in the middle of everything else around them (sharp &/or fuzzy). You might want to try cropping some of the excess unrelated visual material. It would shift the emphasis back on the pups - setting them in a wide horizontal format.

Roy Miller - Untitled faces and lips
I don't normally enjoy this sort of image but this one nonetheless appeals to me. Perhaps because of the simplicity of the design - just eyes and lips and a background that is reminiscent of the foreground in a complementary colour. But I would really prefer to see this image in a larger body of related work.

Roger Eichhorn - La Rabida Monastery
Nice shot with the quasi-monochrome converging lines and the bright spots of green and red along the way. Very quiet, peaceful and meditative. Three objects in the top right corner break this feeling. You might consider Photoshop them out....

Emily L. Ferguson - Bobbi and Elizabeth
I'm not quite sure how to read this picture in relation to the title and the comment. There seems to be two subjects: the magnolia blooming at the arboretum and the person in the back - visually captive of the tree branches and with no visual interaction with the viewer/photographer. I need more information to understand. I also find the car on top of the image a bit distracting.

Guy Glorieux - 1822-1877 - Layton, NJ
This picture has already been substantially worked on with CS2 to rebalance the light. IMO, it still requires quite a bit of work to get the light as I would like to see it.

Howard Leigh - Louvre Paris, February 2007
Nice interaction between the "Ancients" and the "Moderns". The Pyramid has now become an integral element of the Louvre. Everything works in this picture (except the faintly visible tent and tourists group in the back of the pyramid. Unavoidable I suppose). Well done!

Kostas Papakotas - Red on Green
MC Escher, I presume... Although the master worked with etching material in B&W instead of pixels and a camera. Interesting composition but too much blue (sky) above for my taste. How about a square format?

Steve Shapiro - Tree of Light
The old master at work! I like the print and the composition. I wonder why the top (bottom?) of the contact print is missing. I normally drive by a subject for 30 years and eventually come back with my camera only to discover that the subject has been downed just the day before... (grrrrrrrrrrr...).

Great work everybody.  Thanks for submitting.
I hope everyone else is busy sending an image for this coming saturday's Gallery. I did.

Best regards from Montreal,

Guy