Forum review May 19, 2007

19 maj 2007 kl. 17.33 skrev ADavidhazy:

The PhotoForum members' gallery/exhibit space was updated May 19 2007. Authors with work now on display at: http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/ gallery.html include:

                Rene M Hales p- Buddha in My Garden
Another "dreamy" one from Rene; same beautiful, muted colours and quietude. I feel, however, that this is more of a "reproduction", or documentation of another person´s work of art; last week´s felt more like your own creation.

                Elson T. Elizaga - Hard Food
"Now, really, Dad! Is this what you´re givin´ your son to eat? Gimme a candy bar instead!" Very funny image, great expression. A little too tightly cropped, possibly.

                Tim Mulholland - Fox Pups
Well, this one sure isn´t too tightly cropped... ;-). The pups are very well caught, alert, apprehensive, and curious at the same time. Too much sticks and straw, but then if 800 mm isn´t enough, what should one do? Possibly darken the surroundings just a little, plus crop the bottom and left.

                Roy Miller - Untitled faces and lips
Technically well executed, whether digitally or "done with mirrors". Beyond the merely decorative, I´m afraid I fail to find any real contents here; can´t relate to it.

                Roger Eichhorn - La Rabida Monastery
Much more to my taste: nice architectural shot. Those "potted plants" look exactly like my Mom´s pelargonias, so their size give me an eerie feeling of looking into some small doll´s house, not a full scale building for grown-up humans...

                Emily L. Ferguson - Bobbi and Elizabeth
Nice and well composed image; just don´t get the title, since I see only one person. The funeral of a beloved pet? At least that was my immediate interpretation, but I suppose I´m WAY off there, if so, forgive me...

                Guy Glorieux - 1822-1877 - Layton, NJ
Well, this time the weather works for you, not against (as in the "Lovers" some weeks ago), and the mood and tonality is just perfect for the subject. My first instinct was to suggest a little cropping to get away from the symmetry, but I see that neither the left nor the right part can really be sacrified without losing something important. And that is a sure sign of success in composition.

                Howard Leigh - Louvre Paris, February 2007
Talking of symmetry... Here it is an important part of the concept, obviously; you must have worked a bit to get all the triangles exactly where you wanted them...

"I was recovering from a violent stomach upset..." Well, I always thought French cuisine is much overrated; gimme Italian any time...

                Kostas Papakotas - Red on Green
"Well-cropped" is the word, Kostas! Not even a crop-a-holic like me wants to cut it even further. In fact, I´ve no idea what it is, and I don´t really have to; images don´t have to be easy to read. Nice lines and curves.

I wouldn´t have been able to resist calling it "Red, White and Blue", although the white does look a bit mouldy...

                Steve Shapiro - Tree of Light
Obviously the Weston spirit is still alive and kickin´in those parts! The toned original in its full size and glory must be a treat to see. An image I wish I had made...

I have a slight issue with those film-holder borders: either you show ´em all, or you crop them all out, not half-n-half. But that´s just my rigid opinion on a Very Important Issue in Photography.....;-)

OK, that´s it for now. I sent a contribution myself, but it isn´t even listed among the queued ones, so I suppose it was eaten by the Pixel Elves.. I´ll try again!

Per Öfverbeck
http://ofverbeck.se

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"