Gallery review

As seen at:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/gallery.html

Snarski:

I think the initially wondrous thing about getting an image like this is
that you did it hand held. The depth of field is shockingly thin which leads
the photographer to make choices about what most deserves the gift of focus.
(micro-nikkors are not generally celebrated for their bokay!)
Had you sacrificed the wings to focus on another body part you would have
been branded a subversive danger to society and had to claim artistic
immunity...
Given you made the right decision and nailed it (aren't you glad you didn't
have to wait to get the film back to know that?!?) we can only concern
ourselves with two things. Lack of symmetry and lack of symmetry. Bug and
background. I find the background to be off kilter. The bug seems so
symmetrical. Why doesn't the background follow suit?
Then, I notice that the bug couldn't be bothered to be symmetrical either!
Further inspection indicates that the bug is in fact a mutant. Look at the
front leg. Where is the joint on the right leg that is so visible on the
left leg? And why is its right testicle (or whatever the heck that is
hanging down there) hanging so much lower than the left one? On second
thought, never mind that observation. Further observations on that
phenomenon have proven not to indicate any proof of mutation on the part of
the patient.
Ok... Drag this tiff into photoshop, toggle back and forth between layers to
see how a Crane Fly should really look. Or not...

http://robertearnest.com/Snarski/

Per Ofverbeck:

What is it with you D200 people and your 60mm macros?
Again, a photo that would normally celebrate the exhibition of nature's
perfection through symmetry shows us a gimp. Is there not a petal missing?

I must say, on this flowers defense, that it looks really horny. And
frustrated. Imagine if you flowered but once a year, you found that you were
missing a petal and all you got for your effforts was some Swedish guy with
a short lens and no depth staring at you all day.
Are these flowers edible? Next year I want to see a picture of it in a
salad.

Rene M Hales:

Ok. First and foremost send me the info on technique you promised. Secondly,
here is another image that would normally have been shot from a POV that
emphasized the symmetry. The perspective of the skull is not addressed by
the "technique" which on one hand prevents it from looking like it was
actually hanging on a wall with incredibly hip wallpaper and on the other
hand allows the texture to be both behind and on top of the skull in
different parts of the image.
You should have considered using your 60mm macro lensbaby, though...

So, all that aside here is where the picture takes me. I think the next big
thing might be to have your skull placed in the desert for a few years to
bleach after you die. Then you could have it mounted on a nice piece of
maple wood shaped like a shield from the movie 300 or a tortoise shell or
perhaps inside an oversized scallop shell with twinkling Christmas lights
behind it. Oh my, how the children will fight over it come the reading of
the will!

Linda Buttstead:

Why are we down here? The snow is starting to melt. The picnic table we used
to hope to be the first to claim when it was warm sits waiting to be the
center of attention again. Their is a sadness here. Perhaps we have come
here to remind us of happier times only to find happiness hibernating.
It will return. And with it? Flowers!
Run! Do not walk. Run! Run and buy a D200 with a 60mm macro lens!

Herschel Mair:

Some worn paint on the sidewalk with brown leaves mysteriously photographed
with a limited depth of field. At one point it was a new unworn spot of
paint on the sidewalk. Oh! How proud it must have been. Now, in its golden
years a moment of glory. Herschel Mair has elevated it to art. Or has he? I
say yes! GO little worn spot of paint! Have your day in the sun! Don't mind
those ugly brown leaves. They are but fleeting debris. Fans, lucky to have
been in the front row and captured by the lens of a master as they adored
you. Now existing forever to honor you.

I used to photograph a lot of paint spots. Some of them yellow ones in fact.
I was never this good, though.

Russ Baker:

Man. I realize why I don't do these reviews anymore. They are exhausting.

Russ. This image simply has too many technical incongruities for me.
The catch light in his eyes are too bright for the amount and direction of
fill on his face.
The fill light on his hat is brighter than the fill on his shirt even though
the shirt is closer to whatever source of light is doing this magic. The
pure black background takes him out of the real world and leaves him hanging
in some sort of glaring spotlight. There is no sense of storyline here. Just
props.

I really hate to be dismissive of the image but I can't get past what I
perceive as a heavy-handed "printing" job. I just can't. And consequently
the image doesn't take me anywhere. Sorry.

Also? I hate Knockando.

Emily L. Ferguson:

I can tell I am getting tired. I should just quit.
Emily? What? Asian people on the steps of a building in Cambridge.
Is that what the letter C in the little circle stands for? Cambridge? Or
Caucasion? No, obviously not.

Bob Sull:

This has the feeling of an image taken from a speeding car. It reminds me in
some odd way of Mair's image of the paint spot. An image of something in
decay that once had proud purpose. A vain woman in decline. A discarded
couch.

Maybe we should do that! How about we all photograph a discarded couch in
our towns and post a show here? Surely everyone has seen them. Everyone is
so proud when they get them and after the cats scratch them to bits and the
babies have puked on every square inch you buy a new one but WHAT DO YOU DO
WITH THE OLD ONE???

Why, you dump it in an alley far enough away from your house that the
neighbors don't come to you and ask why your old couch is blocking the alley
way. That is what you do. And then some freak with a D200 comes by and it is
suddenly an international piece of artwork.

Howard Leigh:

Holy mother of Allah! What the...? Did the person holding the plate have the
cuticle appetizer? Jeezus, man. Be civilized and wait for your meal!

Until I saw that I was booking a flight to have dinner with you. Yumm.

That's the way I see it.
Goodnight all.