Re: PF exhibit updated 05/12/07

Just coming back from a weekend in a computer-free country retreat (so good!) to find a full gallery with a long waiting list... Wonderful! Like in the good old time. There has also been a lot of very usefull comments. Here are my two humble bits of opinion:

Robert G. Earnest -
Don't know much about automotive product photography, but this one does not do much for me. The car (particularly the hood section in front of driver's seat) is too dark relative to the background, there is too much breathing space above the car, too little in front of it, unneeded reflection on the side windows. I very much like the monochrome aspect of the picture with the slight dash of blue from the logo, but less so the (unavoidable) orangy flasher cover. All of this can be corrected with Photoshop, of course...

Jim Snarski - Art Nouveau
I like your treatment of these small creatures around us. Last week's was vey nice, this week's also. But I am troubled by the distracting branch in the backgroung and the tight cropping (both perhaps unavoidable since you probably did not have too much time to capture your picture).

Per Ofverbeck -
I like this one. Mysterious, good lighting, soft colors. But I would have put more depth of field and/or cropped a bit both at the top and bottom.

Rene M Hales - Chimayo Courtyard
Interesting play with two images. I like the way the background seems to expand in all directions but I think the picture would benefit if the skull was in focus. I would have also cropped away the top section of the print where the details disappear into blur.

Linda Buttstead
I like this picture. Moody, soft colored. The empty sky and the far away table where all the lines converge make a good composition. Far to much foregroung for my own taste. Try a square format, keeping only the top. I think it would do wonders to accentuate the mood.

Herschel Mair - Yellow spot
I love the subject and the composition but there is a depth of field issue I can't figure out. Did you partially blur the areas around the spot or did the blur come naturally. I would have seen a picture that was sharp overall and where the texture of the yellow spot competed with that of the surrounding area.

Russ Baker -
I love the composition. The shaded part of the face could have benefited from 1/3 to 1/2 spot more light and both knuckles and watch from 1/2 to a full spot less light. I would have liked to see just a little bit of texture in the black background.

Emily L. Ferguson - MIT
A tough one to make with a 17mm. I don't I like the way the building seems to fall backward to the right of the picture. But... there is something really interesting happening between the vertical columns and the two persons on the the right.

Bob Sull - Vacation Home - Needs Work
Good composition, but wrong time of the day. This picture would be so much more dramatic in the early lught of the day or at dusk. I don't suppose the blur was intentional but it makes it difficult to comment.

Howard Leigh - Mixed Tandoori
Mmmmm.... This must have been delicious... But the color casts just don't work for me and the cropping is off (top of the dish cut and hand too present). (BTW, your passport photo was excellent!)

Thanks all for having posted your work. Thanks for those who took time to make comments. Both posting and commenting take time and time is what we all miss the most. Certainly my time at critically looking at these pictures was not wasted since it forced me to think about my own work with a lot less complacency than before.

Best regards,

Guy