Re: Checking up on Andy

Dear Marilyn,

Thank you for asking but remember to keep on topic! HaHa!!

FYI, so far so good. I will spare you the details (which are really not all that bad) but I am back to "home turf" although still not back in school. I am being "monitored" on a weekly basis which should become every 2 weeks later and then every month and so on. I am taking immuno-suppressant pills and related ones. Only about 5-6 different kinds 2-4 times a day. I am told that things are as good as can be expected. I am not qite sure what that means. I'd like to back to school full time but just cut back a little on on-site presence and do more work from home via the net. I hope they let me do this!

I have been doing a little writing (reformating well known aerial photography principles ... hopefully without major errors), and doing some pinhole photography as for the WPPD. I put together a couple of booklets through Lulu.com and am in two local goup exhibits and have my "Little Faces", photographs on a shoestring, exhibit scheduled for exhibition at a scientific photography conference in Alaska in Sept. Next week I wil be in your vicinity (Lancaster) for a few days attending and speaking at a seminar on high speed photography organized by the Visual Instrumentation Marketing Corp.

Also I am running a "course" for a couple of students "remotely" by specifying assignments, providing soem reading resourcs and encouraging individual research on the general topic of Nonconventonal Imaging Systems (like aerial, 3D stereo, photogapmmetry, IR and UV, shadowgraphs and schlieren, thermography, etc.). All done over email. Also been keeping busy with assembling a new trailer for my 13ft sailboat. I am supposd to stay out of the sun so am not sure why I am spending time on my sailboat!

The other day I ran across a single tree out there i a field far away. I decided to photograph it with a 800mm telephoto lens and my Canon Rebel digital. Noticed that the tree could not be fitted into the frame. So I took three side-by-side columns of photographs each made up of 5 separate exposures. Since the distance to the tree was very large I thought that the small change in view from one exposure to the next would really not matter if later I made an assembly. Then I worked at combining them. The resut was not all that bad. However, even keeping the exposure consant there were introduced slight tone changes among some of the frames. I guess this has to do with the fact that the exposures were in-camera processed to jpegs, no?

Tonight I will be taing my departmen's students out to dinner at a local italian restaurant. There will be about 20 of us going out. Should be fun but I have to remember to refain from excessive hugging and kissing and sit as removed from the "crowd" as possible. Bummer!

Oh, yes ... then there is PhotoForum and Fotored ... ;)

cheers y'all!

andy

Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:

HI Andy,
In your messages you sound great.  Are you feeling well?
Marilyn