Re: how green is your electronics maker

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Weyn"

: That's a very interesting point, Karl. Mac's and PC's would use the same
: (lead-free) gizzards. The article in this case must be referring to EU's
: recycling program (the WEEE mandates) where the manufacturer has to make
: provisions for the recycling of its products once the end-user wants to
: chuck them.
: Frankly, I have to doubt the facts of this article - It doesn't make
sense
: to me that Apple would be on the bottom of eco friendliness and PC's on
the
: top, you'd think if anything it would be the other way around. My concept
of
: a Mac user is a very young, hi-tech savvy, cool new generation, tree
hugging
: hippy type; whereas the PC user is the blue suited IBM conservative.

see that's a funny thing, what is a PC?  Well I have about 7 PC boxes in
the house, not one has a case the same as any other - there are dozens of
case makers out there, they all run different video cards (Matrox,
NVidia,MSI,Voodoo,Via,Saphire etc), I run Gigabyte, Intel, Via MicroITX,
Acer and other motherboards, I have Quantum, Maxtor and Western Digital and
even IBM hard drives, the network cards vary, the PC Card readers are US
made 'Solid State', the 5in 1 internal card readers are made by some
generic Chinese company, the SCSI cards by Adaptec and a UK company -
various burners and optical ROMs branded LG, Matsui, Acer etc..  I use AMD
CPU's mostly, but there is a Via CPU and a few Intels in use too..  I run
Sony, Philips, Compaq and GS monitors too

I know the Mac's have used Radeon video cards (a shocking departure from
the 2D/colour managed cards they used in yesteryear and a hideous
compromise to draw the gamerz market!)  Even worse a 'mac' monitor may have
originated in any of 5 or 6 different manufacturers factories - two
identical mac LCD's may in fact have been made by companies from opposite
sides of the world!  How in lords name one can expect to colour match
monitors is anyone's guess!  At least with the PC monitors one can see it's
a Sony Trinitron and KNOW it came from one manufacturer in one place. They
use generic hard drives and really aside from the motherboard being made by
company X rather than company Y, the only real difference is that Macs used
the Motorola chip rather that AMD or Intel or Via or .. (others) and that
really is what has made a mac a mac.

: Obviously my concepts of the two are formed primarily by Mac's marketing
: campaigns...

;)

check out the Alienware PC's if you want to really see young hip and cool
(or just goddam scary powerhouses!) http://www.alienware.com/

:
: By the way, please define for me what "C-tick" means; I'm not familiar
with
: that term. Is it a similar thing to the RoHS mandates?

It was an antipollution measure introduced in the EU, some say it was a
measure taken during the amalgamation of nations when corporate raiders
from Asia could have trashed local manufacturing completely, and the
legislation tied up foreign companies and prevented such a thing happening
while the EU was consolidating business and government and while trade
borders were insecure.  Basically it said ANY electronic device must comply
in restricting radio emissions.  European companies were largely exempt
from complying while foreign companies had to jump thru hoops to be
permitted to sell product in the EU.  This prevented dumping and ensured
relative economic stability during a tough time.  Australian bureaucrats
saw this and went 'oh cool, antipollution laws, we should have them too,
but tougher' and thus they were adopted here .. and the costs involved and
the actuality of complying subsequently ruined the electronics industry.

truth be told a light switch cannot pass this nonsensical testing - a spark
plug??  never!

so we go on..

sigh