re: Brief comments on PF exhibit photographs

At 7:05 AM -0400 5/4/07, ADavidhazy wrote:
Jim Snarski - Itsy Bitsy Spider - pretty good in my opinion for a "grab" shot so to speak. The most interesting part for me is the way the out of focus reflection of the spider relates to the in focus image. Interesting that the DOF was so shallow that just the distance from the body of the critter to the silver and back produced such a pronounced out of focus image. Must have been a thick glass on the mirror or the spider was really tiny.

thanks for the comments Andy...I, too, was surprised at the difference between the in-focus and out-of-focus in this image...which was precisely what I found so fascinating...I thought it made for a visually stunning image....

and, since the regular reviewers seem to be on hiatus this week, here's my brief take on the images....

Train
Morley Roberts

Most abstacts have little appeal for me. This one, however, has a strong design element and a nice balancing of colours which make it very easy to look at...well done.

Self Portrait
Howard Ruff

Yep, looks like you. I think you succeeded in emulating Ruff's methodology of avoiding any psychological interpretation leaving it up to the viewer to find their own meanings for the subject in the portrait. And it looks way better than my passport photo did!!!

Serengeti Lion
Andrew Davidhazy
Now there's a battle scarred veteran if I ever saw one. Absolutely superb shot. Your comment about how this lion reminded you of many on this list, including yourself, is appropriate for me as well. Even the somewhat faded colours speak of the inexorable passage of time. So I was interested to learn that the Maasai, who share their territory with these lions, have no concept of time as we measure it. If you ask a Maasai how old they are, they say they do not know. They don't even have words in their language for minutes, hours, days, months or years. I find that refreshing and very civilized.

Itsy Bitsy Spider
Jim Snarski

my shot...modesty forbids I should review it so here's some comments from friends I shared this picture with...

Terrific! The spider is sharp, but the overall effect is mysterious. Looks like he's walking on glassy water. Very effective
         -a professional photographer friend of mine in Oregon

Proof positive one can be beautiful and ugly at the same time!!
        -a lady friend of delicate sensibilities

Pretty cool!  :]  I really like the reflection.
        -my 18 year old granddaughter

thanks to all who contributed....

Jim
Baja Oregon