Re: Unnecessary Measures?

Darin Heinz first asked:
Am I weird to prefer her in the earlier stages?
http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/5955
And Michael Hughes replied:
.....  Before we all rush to agree with Darin, should we not, without being crude or rude, ask him - prefer for what?

BTW I didn't plan to start WWlll on this forum.  Michael

Which prompted Guy Glorieux to state the following:

And yet, Michael, you really should...

What we have here is a fine example of "product packaging for maximum selling impact" where the viewer has no option but to agree with Darin.  It works at two levels.

(1)  First, the film states bluntly that as a "human being", the young lady does NOT exist.  She is an object which, in itself,  has absolutely no "Value",  except insofar as "it" (she) can become the support for the making of a "concept", an ideation of what the consumer of the product (for which "it/she" serves as an advertisement banner) is being told will see happening in his life.

We are surrounded by these ideations in everything that we do or encounter.  Whether we like it or not, we fall in the majority of these traps, for the greater benefit of those behind these creations.  In due course, we realize that the ideation did not materialize, even when we purchased the product several times.  So the market quickly brings forth a new "improved, redesigned, technologically advanced" product that is certified to bring the ideation to life.  On and on...

(2)  But then, the film itself is an ideation.  If you look carefully, you will see that the opening picture of the young lady is carefully constructed by the filmmaker so that she is shown to look at the very extreme opposite of what she will be turned into during the length of film (49 seconds...).  Well done!  Given the oversupply of would-be models, it seems unlikely IMHO that any real-life art director would  want to hire a model whose "starting-point" image was so far off from the final image on the billboard.

Oh, what puppets we are in the face those who pull (or so they beleive...) the strings of our lifes.

As someone said...
Good night (and good luck...) PF friends.  -:)

Guy

BTW, there is a very instructive set of Photoshopped images created from a different "woman-marketing object" at the following URL

I'm sure that the same can be found in the class of "men-maketing object" or "kid-marketing object".  The very sad part is that the age targets are lowered year after year despite legislative efforts to protect the younger generation from these ideations.

PS:  This is not Off Topic.  As photographers, we contribute (albeit much less in these days of animated messages than perhaps some years ago) to the direct creation of these ideations.  (This brings us back to an earlier discussion, I'm afraid).