Re: paper sizes Was - Nikon Proud

karl shah-jenner wrote:
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob" <w8imo@xxxxxxxx>
To: "List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students"
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2007 8:14
Subject: Was - Nikon Proud

: howard wrote:
:
: > I make my A3 prints on an elderly but not much used 1290 with Inkrite
: > replacement inks. Film A3 prints were done by Bonusprint
:
: How do the An sizes compare with the " X " here in the US?   What size
: is A3?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_size

"The international paper size standard, ISO 216, is based on the German DIN
476 standard for paper sizes. Using the metric system, the base format is a
sheet of paper measuring 1 m² in area (A0 paper size). Successive paper
sizes in the series A1, A2, A3, etc., are defined by halving the preceding
paper size parallel to its shorter side. The most frequently used paper
size is A4 (210 × 297 mm).

This standard has been adopted by all countries in the world except the
United States and Canada."

It has the benefit (?) that all the sheets are the same aspect ratio. That's a benefit for making different size prints of the same image -- no recropping, and it always fits perfectly. But perhaps a disadvantage if you like some variety in aspect ratio.

It has the disadvantage that *all* the sizes are completely weird numbers (and they only approximate them to the nearest mm, I believe). How many pairs of figures like "210mm x 297mm" can *you* remember?

--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@xxxxxxxx; http://dd-b.net/dd-b
Pics: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum, http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery