Re: Truth in photojournalism

All I have are questions.  As an amature photographer I will probably
never have to think about these things as I ply my avocation.  As a
consumer of journalism I will be faced with this issue every day.

What type of manipulation is acceptable of a photojournalist?  Is the
manipulation of a photo more objectionable than the manipulation of the
event?

Is it more common for a a photographer to manipulate the event to get
the photo he wants, or to manipulate the photo after the fact?

Two people at a public gathering may never encounter each other at the
event.  Would it be OK for me to seek them out and ask them to pose
together, and then present that image as an illustration of the event?

Now that I've asked the two people to pose is it OK for me to ask one of
them to hold some item idicitive of the event?

Is it OK for me to ask them to smile?  Or give a serious look?  Or look
straight at the camera?  Or look toward the main event?

Is it OK for me to allow the subject to prepare for the photo?  Can I
wait for a politition to put down his drink at a fundraiser before
taking his picture?  Might I be complicit at hiding this ellected
official's drinking problem?

Is any coordination between the photographer and subject manipulation?

It would seem to me that the only images close to being free of
manipulation from the photographer are candid shots taken from a hidden
vantage point.  Any other scenerio implies that either the photographer
or the subject has manipulated the situation into something that
otherwise would have never occured.

A few years ago there was a protest in a major city.  I don't recall the
city or cause, but the protesters where naked.  There was a photo
published of several protesters posing with their privates covered.
This photo definitly looked posed to me.  Assuming was posed did the
photographer commit an act of deciept by asking the protesters to
cover-up so that a publishable shot could be taken?

I think every photo is a manipulated event.  The important aspect is how
well the photo represents the event.  Does adding a peice of sports
equipment modify the meaning of an otherwise staged photo of a team
portrait?  Probably not.  Would it modify the meaning of an action shot
during a game.  Definitly.

Thank You,
Tim Corio