Re: RGB printing

Les writes:
Re: RGB printing

: JD you may find it but you will also find it to be an inferior product on
the whole.
: Card stock is pretty sturdy stuff but printers that may use ink jet or
other system may have a short run, but they just don't hold up too well for
actually mailing them. The CMYK printing works better for actual postcards
and are pretty rugged and will look decent once they get to the
destination.
: Most of the card stocks that are used for RGB printing are a little to
tender.
:
: Les
:

mohadib: Hallo,
 Thanks for all the input. I really do want tough postcards but
getting CMYK and my photo to look right on my Linux box is
not going so well. Looks super in RGB though... Anyway, thanks
again for the input everyone.

people - CMYK is the realm of Graphic Designers and is a 4 colour printing
process so don't expect a totally faithful repro of your photographs!  In
fact, unless  *you*  the creator of the image can soft proof against the
gamut and profile of the printer in question, don't expect anything like
your photograph!

Remember the issues photographers had getting images to print in
books/magazines, getting business cards made up  etc in years gone by  ?
That was all due to the way GD's work with colour and the fact that
'colour' is a whole different thing to what we photographers know as
'colour'.

In the Olde Dayes CMYK was what a printer worked in from scratch since
those were the colours they'd be getting out of the printer .. software was
setup to work CMYK and RGB conversions were a nuisance to the point GD's
demanded photographers present their images in CMYK as (figuring
photographers understood colour the way they do) they figured the
photographer would have done the soft proofing and would have been happy
with a RGB>CMYK conversion they did themselves..

but GD's and Photographers really, really treat colour very differently!

Nowadays we have 'photo printers' with bigger gamuts, more colours
(CMYPMPCRGB for example!) and one big advantage - the *print driver* can do
a fantastic job of doing the RGB> CMYPMPCRGB conversion it's self!

You *can* do a RGB>CMYK conversion in the software but be warned, unless
you have your monitor and software calibrated and set to soft proof
(understand you'll be seeing your soft proof of a CMYK image through an RGB
monitor!) you'll NOT see a version of what you'll get.  Also if you try to
hard proof your print driver may 'fix' the image and not give you a true
representative of what the CMYK printer will finally produce. .. and then
any PS profiles present can really muck things up further !

Print companies which have their software set up to allow RGB>CMYK
conversions through the RIP will often if not always give better results
than a printer who demands a CMYK image.