Re: Mark Lent, Marilyn, Shyrell

At 5:34 PM -0700 3/30/07, Marilyn Dalrymple wrote:

Why hard copy?

Last year when I got my all-in-one I thought I'd give it a try, the flatbed part, that is.

So I dug into a drawer that has my family's pictures in it and brought out a badly beat up image of my grandfather sitting on a bench on a carriage with a whip in his hand and two horses in front - and my father sitting in his lap. In the carriage sat my grandmother with my Aunt Helen, a mere newborn, in her lap - long white christening dress and bonnet.

The photo was taken in Bucharest before my grandparents emigrated to America.

The scanner did a fabulous job, I fixed the places where the emulsion had scraped off - reconstructed half an elbow in a jacket, cleaned up all the accumulated dirt - all that good dutiful stuff. Resisted the temptation to jack up the contrast, too!

And printed it out on glossy and watercolor a couple times. It was nice. It was actually pretty good, if I say so myself.

But I put the prints away in one of my collection albums and never look at them. They're there, the big fat scanned image is on a DVD somewhere too.

But every once in a while I open the drawer again, look at the 105 year old photograph and think about those people, the choices they made, their failures, the fates they chose, their children who I knew as my elders, their deep and permanent influence on me.

--
Emily L. Ferguson
mailto:elf@xxxxxxxx 508-563-6822