Using Floodlights rather than flash for portraits

Hi folks:

i have looked for some time at purchasing studio flash units for use
when i shoot portraits (which isnt often) and i really am having a
very hard time justifying the price.  The other night my church wanted
me to shoot a group of kids for them, so i quick grabbed an old
fashioned, 200watt clamp on flood light to use.  I placed it high and
to my left as i faced the kids and then used my on camera flash (nikon
D70) for fill.  I was quite pleased with the results, and as a result,
im considering getting a set of them and some form of stand to use in
the future (our school basketball team needs some pics done etc) --
are there any particular down sides to this approach, and what is the
proper set up to use in this type of a situation as far as having the
lights properly placed etc.  i was thinking 2 lights 45 degrees off
from the centerline on each side and 45 degrees above the camera
plane, with a back / hair light above and behind the subject.

Thanks

TIM