Re: OT questions , was vista v. OSX or PC v MAC??

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peeter Vissak"

>LOL.....  But he was right to a great
>extent.  That's why you hardly ever see Unix,
>Linux, or MacOS users crying about a virus.
>
>Bob

I've hardly seen any virus with my Fenster XP as well.

Likewise with my 98SE install, in fact I can't recall the last time I had
one.  However there seems less virus activity trashing computers these days
than in the past, more emphasis seems to be dedicated to either stealing
user information to make money, or installing code to prevent copyright
breaches - hence the Sony Rootkit VIRUS.  Mind you back to the original
point, the Vista OS comes out of the box with so much digital rights
management stuff, all the web bugs and root kits PALE into insignificance
beside this.  Truly this is the first Windows OS I can consider the old
joke 'windows is a virus' to be totally true.  Sadly, people will just
accept the limitations placed on them and their surrendered privacy.  Not
nice, not nice at all.

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=21870

all OS's potentially contribute to or are affected by dodgy practices (like
being tracked by web bugs):
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1220092545

and there's the small issue of apple shipping some ipods with a virus load
onboard (!)
http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

and the apple update page where all the security patches can be downloaded:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

I'm not sure about this philosophy though: "Apple security updates  ...For
the protection of our customers, Apple does not disclose, discuss or
confirm security issues until a full investigation has occurred and any
necessary patches or releases are available".  On one hand it appears a
sound decision, on the other it can be viewed as either a 'head in the
sand' attitude, or otherwise one which minimises the number of people who
know about the flaws and thus the number who could potentially contribute
to remedying it.

for an example of the sorts of security threats macs face see here: