Re: (was custom white balance)/general observation

Howard wrote:
Hi Terry
Manuol? :-D  Oh sorry - manual!!

Gosh I wish I had the time to hand meter every shot...I find most of my work is get in fast, take them fast and get out fast! But I do shoot RAW if possible, unless I have around 500 images to process!

Howard

terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I always shoot raw and I always do custom white balances but then I shoot every thing on manuol and hand meter each shot

Terry L. Mair
This does deal with some points raised, just not entirely the principal point. Fifteen or so years ago when I was shooting many sports activities for the university which employed me, I became aware of the awesome abilities of the newer cameras. Our football teams home uniforms featured black jerseys and black helmets. The visiting opponents, of course, always had white jerseys. What that meant was that during a game I might be moving from, perhaps a black face in black helmet and black jersey with back lighting, to a scene with figures in white jerseys with front lighting. Add the effect of clouds passing between us and the sun and the need to shoot fast and you have a metering problem. I was quick to adopt the Nikon Matrix Metering cameras and relied upon them to deal with the situations and they did. Most modern cameras will. I didn't have the luxury of shooting color negative as all of my customers wanted E6 slides quickly. I would watch the other photographers with the same equipment refusing to use and understand what they had in their hands. They would stand in the shadow of the press box and take an incident reading with their Spectra Combis while their subject was in full sunlight, backlit or frontlit, and then manually adjust and shoot. I could shoot many more pics and get many more usable photos by using the capabilities of the equipment then they could. I hardly ever threw a photo out because of exposure. I could never understand their reluctance to embrace the technology and make it work for them. That was before the digital revolution and now, more than ever, I think one has to exploit the advantages of the machines. One of those is the ability to make a photo, review it and then alter your settings if you don't get what you want. That holds true for most photos that are not action oriented. For action, the same situation exists as when I was shooting. If you are using digital equipment I don't see a substantial difference between manual settings and metering and shooting, reviewing and adapting. Time wise and results wise it would seem to be about the same. You are still making the crucial decisions about the photo; it is not made by a machine. It is made by a person using a machine that just happens to be more sophisticated. Oh, and, in my sports shooting days, your white point was determined by your film choice. You knew what Ektachrome would do versus Kodachrome or Agfachrome. I have rambled so much I may have obscured my point, if I ever had one, but I hope this continues to stimulate conversation.
Don