Re: Easy stealing during DIGITAL ERA

Alberto:

Have you been aware of Art Rogers v Jeffrey Vail where a Pulitzer Prize winning photographer (then based in PT REYES , CA) sued Vail, a sculptor for using Rogers photograph of a woman holding 6 large puppies on a park bench.

J. Vail took every detail and compositional aspect of Rogers photo and made 4 sculptures of Rogers photo but in a another medium. Rogers WON the suit in principle because he was awarded only $50,000 that paid for his lawyers but vail charged $350,000 for each sculpture and had sold one even before the suit was filed. Therefore this did not have any validity in the case as it was pre-suit.

There are photographers who watch carefully if their work is used so blatantly regardless of the different medium. When an image is photographically close as was Vail's then copyright infringement is possible. The same goes for novels, songs, etc.. . On your Browser type in Art Rogers v. Jeffrey Vail + Pt Reyes Light Law Suit and see if you can find the reference.

To all I question the use of intellectual property when referring to a photograph. If a photo is reproduced on a computer screen it is akin to a magazine reproduction which IS copyright infringement. Intellectual Property is an issue dealing with whether someone is able to copyright an idea, not a physically oral (music) or written concern. This is of great concern to me. Personally I believe no one should have the copyright on an idea; it is what one does with an idea that should come under the category of copyright.