Subject: Is this a victorian post-mortem photo ???
From: Charles Dias <deepblue972000@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, January 08, 2007 6:59 pm
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
<photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Hi,

 Sometime ago I bought in a flee market an old photo that I think maybe it is one of the famous victorian style post-mortem photos.

 I scanned and you can see it here:

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5534/sisterszo2.jpg

 The photo shows too girls, sisters, both standing up, the little one over a chair to achieve the hight of the older one.  The writings in italian says it's a photo sent to a man and both are their sisters named Riccia (?) and Teca. This photo was made around 1910 in a famous portraiture studio in Firenzi (Italy) n amed Cav.A. Cattani and Figli.

 Take a look in these details I think points one or both girls maybe is dead:

1 - The vague expressions and fixed eyes;

2 - The unnatural pose of the older girl;

3 - The white stands behind the girls (used to support the dead bodies standing up).

 Maybe I'm completly wrong and it's just a common portrait of living people and the details I pointed is just due to the long exposures required than.

 Looking forward your opinion,

 Charles Dias