Re: Questions

Hi Elliott, that is a very open-ended question. One that complete books are written about. Will you be printing digital or traditional darkroom? What kind of volume? What longevity do your require. Mat cutters for instance run from $25-$65,000. There is a significant time vs quality tradeoff. If you spend very ltitle on the mat cutter, it will be virtually impossible to get a decent cut regardless of how much time you spend. As you spend more, you can get higher quality cuts in lower amounts of time. For instance, a custom frame shop would be foolish to spend less than $1200 on a mat cutter. There are also many different techniques for mounting which depend on several different factors such as type of paper, cost, longevity required, humidity of display area, and type of final display (no frame, canvas, mat-less frame, float mount, matted frame). I have some overview information, tips and a few of the tradeoffs on some mounting techniques on this web page:

http://www.framedestination.com/picture_frame_mounting.html

Cheers,

Mark Rogers

http://www.pbase.com/lila161