RE: Image cathedral at Les Baux

Good point, I completely forgot about the encoding impact on such a large file and believe that Fred is right.

What this makes clear is that the comments about Outlook, Eudora, and Thunderbird are irrelevant to the topic at hand. All of them require encoding to send attachments and will have the same impact on file size. Changing mail programs will result in wasted learning time.

I tested the three different encoding programs that can generally be configured in email programs. They are all within about 2% of each other in file size.

And one more time, html is irrelevant. Images create large mail files, html creates less than 5k of file size.

At 06:42 PM 12/7/2006, Fred Salzer wrote:
>>Emily Ferguson wrote in part:
>>1.6MB extra sounds like either you are doing something wrong, you have a
serious configuration error, or some sort of virus/trojan is attaching
itself to your images and/or email.<<

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64
"Thus, the actual length of MIME-compliant base64-encoded data is usually
about 140% of the original data length."

>From Guy's post: "Size of the email file (with the 4508K picture attach) =
6169 K". That's ~137% and consistent with the above explanation.

Fred (lurker)
Poway, CA

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com