Re: Tiny Camera w/ Kg Lens - universal clamp?

Michael:

If this is a one-time experimental thing then try the following:

Get a adjustable hole cutter and find a place on the lens that will be appropriate to clamp something about 3/4 wide. Measure that diameter.

The using the hole cutter, make a hole in a piece of wood that exact diameter + about 2 mm. The board should be wider than tall with the grain running the longer dimension.

With a scroll saw or other thin bladed saw, cut the board in half at the middle of the circular hole. Screw on a hinge to rejoin the two halves.

On the opposite side, trim the board to form a short projection on either side of the hole to form a place to clamp the halves together ( a machine screw and nut
will suffice.

Line the hole with 1mm foam padding.

Fix whatever needs to be done to attach the board to the tripod mount.

Now you can insert the lens in the hole. clamp the halves together, mount it on the tripod, and mount the camera on the lens and away you go.

Cost should be about $1 ( USD ) for the piece of scrap wood and the machine screw.

If this need to last a long time as in a production item, then contact the Really Right Stuff folks and see it they have or can make an adapter for you which will work as a mount for the lens. There are some Nikon and / or Canon lenses that have removable mounts that could be used if they happen to fit your lens.

Cheers,
James