PhotoForum Exhibit Review, 11 Nov 2006

Hi everyone! Skimming through the thumbnails it looks like we've got a solid
group of images this week! Let's get to it!

----- ------- -----
"Colours of Fall" - Guy Glorieux

Guy, this aptly named photo is remarkable on several different levels.
First, and most obvious, is the splattering of color across the frame
synonymous with the onward marching of autumn. A few pedestrians punctuate
the image, which forces a relationship between themselves and the viewer,
and the peek at urban life in the background gives a sense of harmony
between Nature and Society. Eliminate the people, eliminate the city, and it
is a very empty image. You have done well, sir!

----- ------- -----
"MV Samish" - Gregory david Stempel

This is a beautifully executed photo! I'm unaware of how much post-exposure
treatment it received, but it really doesn't matter. The sense of cold, and
indeed the relentless persistence of the work vessel despite the cold, is
overwhelming (I'm wearing a sweatshirt in Florida as I write this). Of
particular note is the loss of detail in the background due to frosty
atmospheric conditions. In defiance of the cold is a starkly contrasted ship
with bold lines and a solid presence; in addition, the angle of the vessel
in relation to the camera/viewer connotes strength. Exposure and composition
are top-notch.

----- ------- -----
"Bedouin girl" - Herschel Mair

Something about her eyes pulls me headlong into the image, making me forget
about the overall motion blur (something that would have docked me quite a
few points in one of my former lives). However, it is the blur that would
likely nix this from editorial or commercial use. On the other hand, I can
certainly visualize it being framed with other thematic images.
Although it appears to be a bit overexposed, I have to dismiss this line of
critique, because the image in its entirety seems to benefit from an
intentional disregard of "The Rules". The empty white space behind her and
to the viewer's right seemed distracting at first, but I think it ultimately
underscores her environment; by adding (or failing to subtract) emptiness,
you fill in the rest of the story.

----- ------- -----
"Durham Police Arrest The Angel Of Death on I-85" - Roy Miller

Roy, I have to say that this is, albeit bizarre, a delightfully poignant
image, yet rife with humor. The "angel" is a strikingly haunting entity,
black-clad with wings (evoking images of buzzards/ravens), and being
confronted by Durham's Finest. Then there's the point he was apparently
trying to make being shot down by those who would be most likely to advocate
it. And then, of course, the Angel of Death's sunglasses. Sweet.

On a technical note, I think the shallowing of the bit depth
(quasi-posterization) detracts just a bit from the overall image. Although
the scene looks tilted slightly clockwise, it adds to the drama unfolding on
the highway's edge.

How ironic would it be if he were sentenced to community service, and made
to walk along the Interstate as the Angel of Death for the "Slow Down and
Live" campaign? It wouldn't surprise me in the least.

----- ------- -----
"McCart Lookout" - Serena Fenton

The minimal sky, human element, wooded surroundings, and warm-toned sunlight
give this shot much potential. My --only-- complaint is the post in the
foreground breaking the continuity of the structure; its light color
emphasizes its distracting nature. Otherwise, the composition is excellent;
it's a great shot. Exposure is right on the money, and I can almost smell
the distant campfires. I would like to see some images (perhaps even a
360-degree panoramic?) made from within the structure. It's more than 1-1/3
miles higher than where I am right now, and I can only imagine that the
vista is breathtaking.

----- ------- -----
"pavement" - Don Draper

Many years ago, I had a job as a pavement distress analysis supervisor, part
of a team charged with rating pavement condition based on downward images
photographed from a moving truck; on more than a few occasions I thought
about doing one, in high resolution, just because it looks cool. This is a
great image, for the texture throughout, and the breakdown of the frame into
disparate and offset regions, using (for the most part) only three colors. I
think this photo successfully bridges the gap between abstract and concrete
(no pun intended, seriously!).

Again, I thank all those who submitted work this week, and those who have or
will offer insight.

Darin Heinz
Melbourne, Florida USA