Re: digicam soft focus?

On 11/1/06, lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<lookaround360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey,

What's the trick to making shallow DOF pics with a P&S digicam? I have a
little Oly 8mpg.   I tried holding the shutter part-way, focusing and
then re-framing but the DOF is too much.  All I can think to do is the
ol' vaseline on a UV filter technique - but with that tiny lens...!  I
don't want to use PS.

Any ideas?

There's inherently more depth of field in the smaller-sensor cameras
-- like comparing 4x5 to 35mm (omitting the use of tilts in 4x5 to
manage what dept of field there is!).  And the consumer ones don't
have fast enough lenses to open up enough to get much background blur.

So you have to mask, perhaps several layers, or with a gradient, and
blur in one form or another.
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
Pics: <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>