From: owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-photoforum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 10:34 PM
To: List for Photo/Imaging Educators - Professionals - Students
Subject: Re: laptop? Notebook computers?

E Berlin wrote:

>Really there are many options for laptops.  I've had some trouble with
>Toshibas but haven't tried anything recent of theirs.  Frankly if I had
>a choice I'd go Mac even though I've always used PCs.  I've gotten
>tired of being a nanny to various computers and I've come to believe
>that Macs are less trouble and confusion prone.  They've always been
>considered the best around for graphics anyway.

Hardware or OS issues?

>Can you afford an iMac or MacBook?  I'd try that or alternately or go
>for an HP.  You can get an HP anywhere from $600 or so up to $2K.
>Depends on how much horsepower you think you need.  I'd definitely go
>for a duo core processor, probably an Intel, but I don't have
>definitive evidence that the Intel version is best.  I'm aware that
>Apple recently switched to Intel which is a bit of an endorsement.

Maybe an endorsement, maybe a finacial decision.  Dell just announced a
switch to AMD Opteron processors for some of their high end servers.....

>Fact is you never know until you buy and really use something if it's
>just what you want.  It's always something of a crap shoot.
>eb

You're right.  Since there seem to be two basic types, Mac and the rest of
them you might be able to check with friends and try what they are using  if
they're close enough friends to loan them to you for a couple days.

Pure Macs run what I believe to be an operating system derived from, or
based on, or at least similar to Unix.  The rest usually run a windows
operating system.  Getting used to either is a learning thing.

Oh, do you have a PC that you use to get on here or what?  What you now use
and are familiar with may be a big part of your decision.  Sort of like
going digital-----  what investment do you have in your film setup as far as
lenses go?  That is usually important when going from film to digital..
Same thing with computers.  Are you familiar with windows and is the
software you run compatible with othe operating systems.
Something to consider although not quite as important as it was before Mac
decided to run windows.......

Bob

--

                           /////