Re: blown highlights?

Hi Lea,
Jeff's explanation is a good one.

I would like to offer other possible explanations.
Firstly the gamma used by the camera is different to the one in the colour space you're using on the computer.
Secondly,  there's a lot of data at the right side of the histogram
(a white pixel is a 24-bit number and a black pixel is a 1 bit number.)

I would think that you'd have to be quite far out before there was no recoverable data at all. In other words, think of a 256-step grey scale with 128 as medium grey and whitest-white  at 256.
 To the naked eye the top 30 steps all look pretty white.
If you over expose so that you lose the top 20 steps, at the white end, and then you pull back the brightest pixels (In levels or whatever) so that they are back where they should be letʼs say at 225, and everything above that is white, you will still have a decent looking picture.

Is this confusing?

herschel
lea murphy <lea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm confused.

Some shots show blown highlights in my histogram on my Canon 20D but when I pull then into Photoshop RAW converter I can adjust them so the highlights aren't blown at all.

What gives?

I thought blown highlights meant there was no data in the highlights but indeed, I have plenty of info when I make a little exposure adjustment.

Am I just lucky or is this normal?

Lea

lea murphy
www.leamurphy.com