Re: dynamic range and jpegs

I am not saying that 8-bit is as good as 16-bit. Let me clarify by saying that 16-bit is far better

I am saying that if the end product is 8-bit and you're going to down-sample anyway,
You may as well work carefully in 8-bit all the way. The difference is really negligable compared to the time it takes to render each step in 16-bit.
I'm saying that working in 16-bit and then converting to 8-bit is a security blanket thing. It feels safer and warm-fuzzy with all that data to have to spare, but in the end you're tossing it all out anyway.

It seems that it shouldn't be that way and there remains a nagging doubt which leads me to continue  testing. but in every test I've done I have had as good results printing to A3 from images converted (From RAW) to 8-bit as 16-bit.
(This doesn't stop me still saving in 16-bit if I have doubts about image quality from time to time...a nervous reaction perhaps?)
Try it and let me know
herschel

Qkano <wildimages@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In my case, after extensive testing, I have come to the conclusion that the best quality is achieved by working in 8-bit all the
way through. So I shoot Raw, do as much work as I can in the Raw Converter (12-bit) open the image as an 8-bit and it stays 8-bit
from then on.

Herschel

I'm afraid you've just contradicted yourself (or I've misunderstood your challenge).

Converting your RAW to 8-bit is precisely and exactly the reason 16-bit is better. You have already made the major (most important)
adjustments at the time you do that conversion. It's no surprise to me that from that point on working in 8-bit has little (no?)
further impact.

It's not difficult for me to come up with 16 bit images that will render better to 8-bit with care ove the same automatically saved
as 8 bit.

Bob

Herschel Mair
Head of the Department of Photography,