Re: Carnival Photos

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Looks like fun, and particularly fun with some of the ultra-wide positions.

But:  Fill flash!  (since you probably can't have the gaffers fly a
silk over the whole carnival for you).  You really need to reduce the
contrast on a lot of the faces, and fill flash is the easiest way to
do that on the go.  Although with a D100 it's less reliable / harder;
with a D70 (or anything else more modern) it pretty much does itself.

Yes, I wondered whether someone might add that. You're right. I've got an SB800 too so I've no excuses... :'(

The only reasons I didn't was I've never done an occasion like this before, when I have tried fill flash it sometimes has gone wrong (completely blown highlights and faces), and most seriously for me here, it would have made the whole caboodle too unbalanced.
There was a pro working there and he did exactly what you suggested.

Howard