Re: Comparison between Nikon D200 and Canon 20D/30D.

Elgenper wrote:

As I wrote in another post a few days ago, I now own a Nikon D200 after using a Canon D60 a few years ago. While I have no shooting experience with the current Canon DSLR´s, I certainly looked over the 20D and 5D thoroughly (and handled them in a couple of shops) before finally settling on the D200.

The main reasons for me to go with Nikon were the superior build and sealing of the D200, and the layout of the different camera controls (the D200 has a simple, well working mirror lockup; Canon has it deeply buried in the menus. The D200 shows the ISO setting in the viewfinder all the time; the Canons have to be "asked" what ISO is currently set.

You ask by merely pressing the "DRIVE-ISO" button on the top ofthe 20D. How often do you change ISO? Every frame?

The Canons have a focus point selector button right under your right thumb that you forever keep pressing by mistake; no such problems with D200).

Or with the 20D. The focus point button is at the upper right edge of the back of the body and 'you' have to really try to reach it. I haven't shot thousands in the year I've had mine but I have never accidentally pressed it.

Also, the viewfinder image (apparent size and brightness) of the D200 is markedly better than on the 20D (the 5D does beat the Nikon, being full frame).

The Nikon lens mount accepts lots of older, manual-focussing lenses, and these can easily be focussed using the focusing screen, with the aid of a focus indicator in the finder; also the exposure metering works with most of them. I´ve yet to use any old Nikon lenses on mine, but it´s nice to know that I can if I want to.

===================================================================================================
But if the Nikon D70 was one of the first Nikons purchased chances are that there aren't many, if any, manual focus lenes in the bag.....
===================================================================================================

The camera is extremely fast and responsive, fully up to film based cameras. It doesn´t even go into a sleep mode like all other digitals I´ve used so far. Still, I often leave it with power on in my bag for days without having the battery go flat; I don´t know how they do it, but it´s always and instantly ready, like my old Leicas. And that´s just GREAT!

===================================================================================================
Startup time is0.2 seconds for the 20D. No slouch in that respect...... If my 20D goes into sleep mode it is ready by the time it is at my eye. I press the "shoot" button as I am raising it.
===================================================================================================

Image quality is very good. Most tests indicate that it shows more noise than the Canons at high ISO´s. That´s possibly so; all I know is that the noise is nothing compared to the grain in 35 mm films with similar speed, and it can be further reduced with software after the fact. The images have none of the excessive red that often marred my Canon D60 images.

===================================================================================================
The D60 is what generation?  One or 1.1?  What genweration is the D200?
===================================================================================================

I always shoot raw, so I cannot comment on the jpeg quality. The images do look a little soft without sharpening, but the detail is there, and even a slight sharpening shows it.

One small thing, if you do plan to use both Nikon and Canon: Both lens mount and focus on all Nikons are "left turn", the opposite direction from Canons (and Leicas, and most other cameras except Pentax), and that might be a source of confusion if you will use both. It certainly took several days of "unlearning and relearning" for me....

===================================================================================================
Good point, there could be a lot of confusion in learning which camera I have in my hand right now for a quick shot that I may miss because of the differences in the two systems.
===================================================================================================

To sum it up, I would unhesitatingly recommend the D200 to anyone looking for a state-of-art DSLR, but not wanting to suffer the bulk and cost of a "full pro" model. That said, I do not think owners of either the 20D (now 30D) or the 5D are dissatisfied either.... Still, I personally feel the D200 comes far closer to my needs and preferences.

  Good luck!

Per

The last sentence is the important one, ...........MY needs and preferences. In this case Per, your needs and preferences.

Then too, if you have a top of the line pro body as a main camera and another of the same system for backup I think the logical way to go is with the same system. It wouldn't matter if the system is Canon or Nikon.

"In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?"

I like your tag line.....   :-D

Bob

--

                          /////